|THE GOALS AND TASKS OF NAGS|
The main goal of NAGS is to ensure the security of human beings and the surrounding environment through preventing the emergence of risk factors capable of destroying the existing favorable balance of conditions that enables living organisms to exist.
NAGS will work for the achievement of that goal by fulfilling the following tasks:
- Participating in the development of legislation that would cover the entire complex of biological safety issues
- Facilitating the development of the National Genetic Safety Concept
- Taking part in international projects on the issues of biological and genetic safety
- Spreading the ideas of protection of genetic resources of the Earth
- Promoting educational initiatives in the sphere of biological safety
- Creating the system of public control over the market of food and food industry raw materials
- Cooperating with the media, government bodies, political parties and public organizations in Russia and worldwide.
The above tasks will be resolved through locating and utilizing scientific, judiciary, political, and social resources in order to evaluate the existing security conditions, and to prevent or obviate situations that compose a threat to genetic safety of Russia. On the basis of analysis and prognosis of the events the experts of NAGS develop a set of measures aimed at eliminating the causes of negative occurrences as well as their consequences. Both government and private resources can be mobilized in this process.